The bootX thingy

Grant yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 20:41:56 -0400

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 02:01 PM, ES wrote:

>   I've got a PowerMac 7300/180.  I'm fairly new to linux, only having
> used Mandrake 9.1/8.2 on x86 for a month now.  I can't get the Bootx
> thingy
> quite figured out.  I want to install YDL 3.0 on a 2 gig HD that
> currently has Mac
> OS 8.1.  I have no unpartitioned HD space, and I can't reinstall OS 8.1
> because the previous owner didn't give me the CD. (Therefor making it
> an illegal
> copy of OS 8.1, that's why I'm ditching it.)
>     Any help?
> Thanx,
> ES

Well, it seems you have several problems:

1.  2 GB is not enough for either YDL 2.3 or 3.0, not if you want,
like, applications
2.  You must have a mac OS to boot to Linux on pre-G3 macs, so you'll
need it
3.  You must have a separate partition for YDL and Mac OS

So all this says that you need a bigger hard drive, and you need to
make a backup of 8.1 and re-install it on one of those HDs.  You can
buy 8.1 on the internet for a fairly cheap price (30-50 bucks).

Old World macs must boot to the macOS from the Mac ROMs.  BootX is a
regular macOS control panel which interrupts macOS booting and
redirects it to YDL - on another linux-formatted partition.

Have you read the install companion?  best to download and read
carefully.  i scanned it - then I learned :-)

Grant