default user creation

Larson, Timothy E. yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:14:41 -0500

>useradd username -g users
>
>Will create an account but make the user part of the users group in YDL.

I am aware of that.
It's an annoying extra thing to remember to do.

>However YDL/Red Hat uses user private groups by default, which in my opinion
>is a better system.  Stick with it if you can and make the "users" group
>membership for each user optional.
>
>ie - after you've created an account with useradd username then do
>usermod -G users username
>
>After which the user will have their own group "username" and also be a
>member of the "users" group.

I don't like private user groups.
I want users with the default "users" group.
The useradd man page says I can do this, useradd -D -g users, but it doesn't work.
Is RH/YDL broken, or what?

Tim

--
Tim Larson     <><   <><   <><   <><   <><     OL 4-131-2
Info. Services - Internal Medicine Clinical Systems, Mayo Clinic, Rochester