Sony cd rw on the Emac

Jason Stevens yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
13 Jun 2003 01:39:47 +0300

I have had this same issue on an iBook2 12" when trying to mount a
Toshiba combo drive, seen the exact same error messages, etc. However, I
can still burn CD's using either Gtoaster or XCDRoast. You don't need to
"mount" the drive, per se. Either of those programs should recognize
your drive and allow you to write to it. As far as playing audio CD's,
I've found the process to be really hit and miss with YDL. You'll more
than likely be able to rip audio CD's, yet not be able to hear them in
programs like Grip. For straightforward audio CD playback, you might
want to consider downloading Xine (you simply click a button that says
"CD" and it starts playing--a rather convenient feature, in my opinion).
XMMS should work if you play with the I/O plugin options.

Back to the CD burning: If you happen to be using Gnome, then there is a
wonderful built in CD burner in Nautilus. You copy whichever files you
want, go to the Go menu, select CD Creator, paste your files, and burn
the CD. Nothing more to it than that. No drive setup required.

Hope that helps a little.