YDL Install Setup Advice Needed

Mark Srebnik yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:35:55 -0700

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply and advice. Really appreciate it!

Just want to clarify a few points you make...see my comments below.

Would greatly appreciate it if you or others could clarify.

Thanks,

Mark

on 6/27/03 2:49 AM, Michael Loose at m.loose@arcor.de wrote:

> 1. Backup your data!

While I know this is always a good idea. I am curious whether the process
you describe in steps 2-4 below are going to do anything to my existing har=
drive.=20

I was hoping to use an approach that would leave my existing hard drive
alone and not 'touch it'....that was one of the reasons I bought another
hard drive to put YDL on it....

> 2. Jumper your OS-drive as "slave" and connect it to the second port of
> the primary IDE. (should be at first now)
>=20
> 3. Connect the empty drive to the first port of the primary IDE.
>=20
> 4. Boot from YDL-CD and choose "automatic partitioning" and "use
> existing free space".

I assume this will only partition my new hard drive as needed for YDL?

As mentioned in my original post, I want to be able to use part of this new
hard drive (=B1 20 GB) for YDL and the balance I would like to be able to use
when working in OSX (booting from older hard drive).

So this approach (automatic partitioning) will do that?

> I haven't had this configuration on a Mac yet, but assuming that
> YDL behaves similar to Redhat, you partitions should be recogniced
> without a clue.=20

Do you mean my existing partitions on my existing hard drive?

> Don't forget to relabel your MacOS-partitions to "macos" and "macosx"
> during installation (you will be prompted to do so).
>=20
> michael

Do you mean my existing partitions on my existing hard drive?

> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 05:44, Mark Srebnik wrote:
>>     Hi,
>>=20
>>     Just got YDL3 today and anxious to install and get rolling with Linu=
x.
>>=20
>>     My current setup on my G4 has one 120 GB hard drive with 2 partition=
s:
>>     (1) 14.5 GB partition with OSX 10.2.6 and OSX apps
>>     (1) 100 GB partition with OS9 and other apps/documents
>>=20
>>     Figured that it would be best to leave this drive alone. So bought
>>     another 120 GB drive on sale the other day to use partly YDL and the
>>     rest for more OSX stuff.
>>=20
>>     So trying to decide what's the easiest/best way to get setup as I've=
 now
>>     read that it's best to have the YDL drive as the master. This means
>>     switching my current drive to slave.
>>=20
>>     So should I
>>=20
>>     A. Put in the new drive first as slave to prepare partitions using O=
SX