YDL Install Setup Advice Needed

Michael Loose yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
27 Jun 2003 15:21:39 +0200

Good luck in LinuxLand and feel free to ask again if i should miss to
express myself clearly

> Just want to clarify a few points you make...see my comments below.
>
> Would greatly appreciate it if you or others could clarify.

> > 1. Backup your data!
>
> While I know this is always a good idea. I am curious whether the process
> you describe in steps 2-4 below are going to do anything to my existing hard
> drive.

It shouldn't affect your data in any way, as far as i know relabeling
the partitions is just neccessary for YDLs bootloader to recognize it on
startup

> I was hoping to use an approach that would leave my existing hard drive
> alone and not 'touch it'....that was one of the reasons I bought another
> hard drive to put YDL on it....
>
> > 2. Jumper your OS-drive as "slave" and connect it to the second port of
> > the primary IDE. (should be at first now)
> >
> > 3. Connect the empty drive to the first port of the primary IDE.
> >
> > 4. Boot from YDL-CD and choose "automatic partitioning" and "use
> > existing free space".
>

> I assume this will only partition my new hard drive as needed for YDL?

yes, it will partition the new drive and recognize, but not change any
existing partitions.

> As mentioned in my original post, I want to be able to use part of this new
> hard drive (± 20 GB) for YDL and the balance I would like to be able to use
> when working in OSX (booting from older hard drive).

> So this approach (automatic partitioning) will do that?

DiskDruid provides the option to manually change the settings made by
it, please look at the given options carefully ( until you give your
final o.k. you are always able to quit the process and leave your disks
untouched). In your case you would have to boot from the MacOS-Install
CD first, create an HFS+ partition of desired size for use with OSX, and
then boot from YDL using the options for automatic-partitioning

> > I haven't had this configuration on a Mac yet, but assuming that
> > YDL behaves similar to Redhat, you partitions should be recogniced
> > without a clue.
>
> Do you mean my existing partitions on my existing hard drive?

yes

> > Don't forget to relabel your MacOS-partitions to "macos" and "macosx"
> > during installation (you will be prompted to do so).
> >
> > michael
>
> Do you mean my existing partitions on my existing hard drive?

yes

> > On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 05:44, Mark Srebnik wrote:
> >>     Hi,
> >>
> >>     Just got YDL3 today and anxious to install and get rolling with Linux.
> >>
> >>     My current setup on my G4 has one 120 GB hard drive with 2 partitions:
> >>     (1) 14.5 GB partition with OSX 10.2.6 and OSX apps
> >>     (1) 100 GB partition with OS9 and other apps/documents
> >>
> >>     Figured that it would be best to leave this drive alone. So bought
> >>     another 120 GB drive on sale the other day to use partly YDL and the
> >>     rest for more OSX stuff.
> >>
> >>     So trying to decide what's the easiest/best way to get setup as I've now
> >>     read that it's best to have the YDL drive as the master. This means
> >>     switching my current drive to slave.
> >>
> >>     So should I
> >>
> >>     A. Put in the new drive first as slave to prepare partitions using OSX
> >>        Drive Setup. Then switch them around and install YDL? Or
> >>
> >>     B. Pull out current OSX master drive and install new drive as master and
> >>        use Disk Druid only for setup or do I need to use OSX Drive Setup
> >>        first if I want to create a partition that's usable in OSX and then
> >>        Disk Druid. Then do YDL install on Linux partition. Then reinstall my
> >>        current Mac drive as slave or
> >>

> >>     C. Other option??
> >>

> >>     Hope this makes sense!
> >>
> >>     Appreciate any advice or tips on getting this setup....
> >>
> >>     Will try to contribute to this list when I have something to offer
> >>     others too.
> >>
> >>     Excited to venture into Linuxland...
> >>
> >>     Regards,
> >>
> >>     Mark