Install problems, "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display" - SECOND REQUEST

Ned Dupont yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:23:59 -0700

Hello all,
I am new to Yellow Dog and am having difficulty getting it simply up and
running on my Performa 6400/180. I finally got the machine ready for
installation and was just getting to Anaconda, and I started repeatedly
getting
the error below...

(mini-wm:62): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:  :1
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 542, in ?
       from splashscreen import splashScreenShow
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/splashscreen.py", line 20, in ?
       import gtk
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-package/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line
43, in ?
       from _gtk import *
RuntimeError: could not open display
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
disabling swap...
unmounting filesystem...
   /mnt/runtime done
   disabling /dev/loop0
   /proc/bus/usb done
   /proc done
   /dev/pts done
   /mnt/source done
You may safely reboot your sytem [flashing curser]

Now I know what most of this means. It's just Linux shutting itself
down.
BUT WHY IS IT HAPPENING????
I am following the instructions exactly as provided. I have messed with
all
the different preference variations within BootX and it's the same every
time. I am NOT using any third party Video card or anything. It
basically an
out-of-the-box Performa with all factory components (except some extra
RAM).
Also, I'm using a 17" Viewsonic A70 which I do not believe to be an
abscure
monitor, yet during startup, YDL indicates that it does not recognize
it. Does that make sense?
Can anyone explain why it's happening and, more importantly, how I fix
it?

Thank you,
Ned Dupont