Having trouble with a New G4 and installing Yellow Dog from CD

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:04:25 -0700

Quoting Martin Akerman <martin@polario.net>:

> Please, somebody help me get this resolved.
> I'm not exactly a Mac Wiz but I am a huge fan of linux.
> Got the mac because it was the most reliable hardware I could find.
> I need to know what I need to disable or get by in order for yaboot to
> take control during startup.
> The CD does not boot at all.. goes straight to OSX.
> Machine is 1GHZ G4.  Jan 2003

I have YDL installed on a 1ghz dual processor G4. My machine booted OK from the
CD when I held down the "C" key but there was another problem. My Hard drives
were on an ATA 100 bus and the installer was not ready to recognize that bus.
So, after I got the drive formmatted for Linux and ran the installer, the
installer did not recognize the drive existed. So the installation was
terminated. I got a "rebuilt" installer from YDL and that solved the drive
recognition problem. Installation went fine. Everything now works except sound.
Haven't got that one resolved yet.  John

YDL.net - The online community for Yellow Dog Linux users