video problem

David Voth yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:36:36 -0800

I have a problem. I installed YDL 2.3 on my Power Mac 7500 with G3
upgrade and installation went well. I had things running and I was
able to work in KDE. The only thing is there were a couple problems.
One was that sometimes the mouse would freeze up: I think it was if I
logged out and tried to log back in. In the support files for YDL
they mention this type of problem and suggested turning on video
acceleration. I went in and changed that and also set the video depth
from 16bit to 24bit or 32bit as I had been using in the MacOS. The
problem I found was that when I went to reboot the computer it would
boot up, but then it gets to a point where the display shows some
text (dhcppc2 login: ) which continues to appear and disappear. I
have a NEC MultiSync 3V monitor and I think it is having problems
with the video settings. I don't know how to get the setting changed
now. I looked in the support files, but the info that was suggested
didn't seem to work.

Another problem I had was that things seemed quite slow in KDE. In
the updates it mentions that updating the "qt" libraries will fix
this. My question: can one be working in the KDE environment while
you update these with apt-get or do you have to be logged out of KDE
and in a text only terminal?

Thanks for any help.

David
--
Cheamweb "From the Fraser Valley to the World"
	www.cheamweb.com