How well is your Mac work?

Spliced Networks yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 10:18:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

The new TuxPPC site includes a status page for every model of Apple
hardware, and popular IBM hardware. The status page is primarily a guide
for people who want to buy new or used PPC hardware and want to know
exactly what will work and what won't.

We are looking to put together a large public database with this
information, this is useful for developers or people who want to help out
with developer to know what is broken or not supported, and its useful for
people who want to buy a particular Apple product but don't want to shell
out $1000+ to find out they can't use the DVD player or play tunes :)

We have collected a large amount of information from our own testing and
feedback from the beta testing pool. We'd like to get a broader picture
and to confirm that our existing data is accurate.

What we need from you is:

- Type of PPC you own (iMac, iBook, PowerMac, PowerBook etc)

- Ideally the Apple model number (order number)
  This is the MxxxxLL/y number (eg. M8891LL/A)

- Your machines specifications (if you don't know the model number)

- If you included the model number, list any upgrades you have done

- output from cat /proc/cpuinfo

- output from free and uname -a

- Place an X in the following boxes if the system works properly,
  if it does not, place a P if it works partially or N if it does
  not work at all. If it works partially please explain what doesn't work.

  [ ] X-windows (if it works, select your maximum resolution)
      [ ] 640x480
      [ ] 800x600
      [ ] 1024x768
      [ ] 1280x1024
      [ ] 1600x1200
      [ ] Higher resolution

  [ ] Sound

  [ ] USB
  [ ] Firewire

  [ ] Modem
  [ ] Ethernet

  [ ] Airport

  [ ] CD (Standard)
  [ ] CD-RW  (Combo drive)
  [ ] DVD-RW (Super drive)

  [ ] LCD backlight

  [ ] Power management

- Do any keys on your keyboard not work?

- List anything else you feel is not quite up to speed on your mac

- Attach a copy of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file

We have questions about the status of Linux on a particular PPC product
asked several times a week, often for older Apple systems such as the
original iBook and other systems from 1998-2002. We've noticed a lot of PC
Linux users asking about PPC systems, especially the iBook. Many of these
people are looking for a decent Linux laptop or desktop, want to try out
a PPC and are considering buying a used or refurbished Apple product
either on eBay or from one of the vendors that sell used Apple hardware.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks