Mounting a Zip disk...

louis castleman yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:37:20 -0500

>My one-month experience with Yellow Dog Linux has been awful.  I am sad to
>report, that in all my years of computing (started in 1972 with
>punch cards and
>mainframes), I have never had as awful of a computing experience as
>I have with
>YDL.
>
>I purchased YDL, paid for support, and have tried to do everything
>their support
>gurus told me to do.  I have yet to be able to successfully do something as
>simple as mount the floppy drive, or use a Zip disk.   Can anyone help me w=
ith
>the Zip?
>
>I had a Mac OS Standard format Zip disk in a zip drive during
>installation, and a
>folder entitled    /mnt/zip100.0    was made during installation.
>
>My =93fstab=94 file reads as follows:
>
>/dev/sdb7 / ext2 defaults 1 1 /dev/sdb6 swap swap defaults 0 0 none /proc p=
roc
>defaults 0 0 none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults  0 none /dev/shm
>tmpfs defaults
>0 0 none /dev/pts devpts gid=3D5, mode=3D620 0 0 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9=
660
>noauto, owner, kudzu,ro 0 0 /dev/sdc4 /mnt/zip100.0 auto noauto,
>owner, kudzu 0 0
>
>When I try to mount the Zip disk, using the instructions given to me by YDL
>technical support (  mount /mnt/zip100.0/    or   mount -t hfs /dev/sdc4 /m=
nt/
>zip100.0/   ) , or try to mount it on the KDE desktop, the Zip whirrs for a
>second or two, and I always get the same error message:
>
>mount: /dev/sdc4 is not a valid block device
>
>Any clues on what to do?  Nothing I get from YDL tech support will
>do the trick.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Jay
>

>The computer is a Power Mac 7200 with 134 megs of ram.  The YDL is
>installed on
>an external 3 gig SCSI drive.  The machine boots and runs KDE, etc.,
>slowly, but
>OK.

According to the entry on P.165 of the O'Reilly book "Running Linux"
(which I find invaluable), if you attempt to mount a floppy or a
CD-ROM and there is no floppy or CD-ROM in the hard drive, you will
receive an error such as

mouont: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

If the disk you are attempting to mount has a physical defect of some
sort, it may not be recognized as being presesnt in the Zip drive.

I assume that you have checked to be sure that you have an /mnt directory.

HTH

						Lou Castleman