Kernel panic on wallstreet when attempting to install ydl 2.3

Polonius19 yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 09 Mar 2003 13:02:06 -0700

On 3/9/03 5:45 AM, "Markus Deistler" <msdeistler@freenet.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 07.09 Polonius19 wrote:
>=20
>> request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
>> VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
>> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
>=20
> If I have got it ... you haven't yet run the installer or
> created/prepared any ext2-partitions? Then ..
What installer? I found a BootX_Installer.hqx in the install folder on ydl
cd. I uncompressed that and ran the installer. It put the aforementioned
kernels in the os9 system folder.

>=20
> ... you have to tell BootX (which will in turn tell the kernel...) where
> to look for the ramdisks that contain the
> installer: In the BootX-splashscreen klick "Options" and then "Use
> specified RAM Disk" - you'll get into the standard MacOS
> open-file-dialog;
> There should be two types of ramdisks in
> your MacOS system extension folder (ramdisk-text.image.gz for the plain
> text installer, ramdisk-x11.image.gz for the GUI-based installer).

Eureka! That was it, pointing to the ramdisk did the trick. I'm now running
the installer. Now my question is why wasn't that tidbit on the website or
in a doc on the disc?
=20
>=20
>>> (or at least at all). I guess HFS+ is verbotten for the xboot boot driv=
e...
>=20
> btw, Is "verbotten" an English word now??
It is when you get =FCber frustrated...

> PS: It's better *not* to post HTML-formatted Mail to lists ...
I should have known better. Thanks for reminding me...

Thanks a lot Mark, you've been a big help...
-Hector

--=20
Polonius19
Chief Malcontent & Misanthrope