PPC 5400 w/Mac OS 9.1

Kenneth Browne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 18:12:59 -0500

I've split a 20 gb hard disk roughly into equal sized partitions and
reinstalled my Mac OS 9.1 and other stuff on the Mac side. I tried
putting Mandrake 8.2 on (have used two or three other Mdk distros
on x86  architecture) but after rocky starts the GUI installer came up
in a barely readable coarse form that quit after the first few steps.

So I thought I'd try YDL2.3 I downloaded and burned ISO onto a CD
and had no trouble with the first part installing BootX. I've got 136
MB of RAM so I thought I could use the GUI installer. Something
happened and I found myself in the text based version, and got
partway through package selection when I decided to backtrack and
do a default installation. When it restarted I only get as far as
package installation and when the "overall progress" window
appears, NO progress is noted. I've been looking at the screen for a
couple of hours wondering if something could be happening "behind
the scenes" but I doubt it.

Could there be some leftovers from the attempted Mandrake
installation that are causing problems? Should I start from scratch
with using the Mac partition tool, reinstalling Mac OS, etc.? Any
other ideas?

BTW, this is my first Mac other than a couple of months with an old
SE30 a few years back. I've more experience with Linux (Mandrake)
than Mac.***Ken Browne clacking the keyboard in Lee in the
beautiful Berkshire Hills***
reply to: kbrowne.ma@REMOVEverizon.net