Install on one Mac, use on another?

Kenneth Browne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:00:08 -0500

On 16 Mar 2003 at 13:57, James W. Walker wrote:

> In case you wonder why I would want to do that:  I have had no luck
> installing on the 7200.  Every time I try, the install fails at a
> different place, so I think it might be that the CD-ROM drive is flaky.

You can eliminate suspicions about the CD being flaky if you use the
md5cksums program to ascertain that the ISO image is an exact
copy of the original from the download site (if that's how you got your
CD).
I made my install CD from an ISO downloaded on this Win98SE
machine and burnt using Roxio EZ CD Creator that came with my
CD burner. It checked out OK, but I'm having a similar problem to
yours trying to get it to install on a PowerMac 5400/200 which is an
all-in-one targeted to the educational market by Apple.
My last attempt stalled at the selection of packages portion (after not
going into the GUI install, but falling back to the text-based.) I've
done a few x86 based installs of Red Hat and Mandrake in text
mode, so that's not a problem, but I have no idea why it just stops
after everything went smoothly up to the package selection.
My system has the maximum memory of 136 MB and has Mac OS
9.1 on the first half of a 20 GB hard disk.***Ken Browne clacking the
keyboard in Lee in the beautiful Berkshire Hills***
                   reply to: kbrowne.ma@REMOVEverizon.net