yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #438 - 9 msgs

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
03 May 2003 09:43:43 -0400

Dear Sverre:
I'm going to assume from your use of userconf that you are using an
older edition of YDL.  Unfortunately, I no longer remember all its
details after moving up to YDL 3.0.  Fortunately for you however is the
fact that YDL remains part of the Red Hat (RH) family tree; the
relationship is close enough for me to have confused it with a
distribution of RH Linux, but it is not.  There is only one RH Linux
although they do produce a version of ppc linux for embedded ppc chips;
as a completely seperate product of no value to myself, and others.
That leaves YDL as you know, as the most reliable Linux distribution for
the ppc.

I will appear a bit like a lecturer, but you need to "keep up" with the
various versions as YDL moves forward.  Why?  Security. Security.
Security.  There are serious weaknesses in linux as an open source OS;
and although RH and other open source authors which work on various
aspects of Linux (KDE, Gnome, X11, cups, etc.) do their part some do
better than others and Terra Soft does their utmost to screen out the
"not ready for prime time" - read as not ready for you - efforts.  This
also means that each release of YDL is actually better, safer and MORE
reliable than what came before.  The tools, and desktop may and will
change but not its kinship with RH.

To the question you raised:
I suggest you go to your either your own local technical library or to
the RH website.  At the RH website they actually allow you to download
references in pdf formats. You may be able to "backtrack" a bit to an
older reference of RH which was the base or foundation for the YDL
release you use; that may help you also.  But remember you are still
susceptible to crackers out there the older you allow your system to
get.  From the way you are discussing or seeking info. regarding alias'
keep in mind that you are also exposing your "users" if you are using
YDL as a server, as opposed to a workstation.  That is added risk to
your users which I'm sure they will not appreciate.  It really doesn't
matter whether they are your family or friends; you will quickly have
neither once their lives and identities are exposed.

A very good introduction sure to keep you sleepless for weeks is the
Nov/Dec 2000 issue of Maximum Linux; try to get that back issue.  They
may even provide the CD which originally came with it.  Remember that
although it may work with your version of YDL; it may not work with the
current version as all the libraries and dependencies are current  and
of course the Maximum Linux CD is not usually for ppc, so you'll have to
test for that too.  Reading parts of Maximum Linux is almost like
reading Wired interspersed with C macros used as nouns with no
explanations; but you already guessed that.  There is a very nice text
which I've always used "Special Edition: Using Linux System
Administration" by Arman Danesh and Gautam Das c.2000; Chapter 16 p.
314-5 should address your issues.  In fact that page sequence
specifically addresses mail aliases.  As usual the tools to write and
modify performance are between vi, vim and emacs.  No tool within Linux,
or any Unix, does everything - not userconf, but you already know that
or you wouldn't be this far "in" Linux anyway.

I'm sure you enjoy coding or else you wouldn't be in the Linux world,
but somewhere along the line a even the Roman Coliseum had to be
reconstructed, as did the Pyramids and Sphinx.  And then there is the
final alternative move on anew to a freshly built reliably and firmly
prepared edifice with ever smaller holes.  Choices are never easy.
Whatever you decide, Good Luck.