yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #439 - 13 msgs

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
03 May 2003 11:49:47 -0400

Dear Angela:
My configuration is slightly older than yours.  I have a 233MHz Beige
Minitower...its insides aren't what it thinks it is.  It thinks its
using two IDE drives; but it has only one.  Keeping the discussion as
simple as possible Apple would not be happy with what I've jerry rigged.
Everything works fine however and YDL 3.0 runs beautifully.  I would
prefer to be running Enlightenment but they are not currently in a
stable release so I don't mind giving them up for a nice clean
integrated KDE/Gnome interface.  Everything is configurable and although
the Wonderland theme is a great improvement; however my tastes are
different but there are enough options to keep my dark side happy.
Something along the lines of the Skypilot theme in Mozilla would be my
preference but I'll be satisfied with deep dark reds.

To your difficulty:
On the first install CD, make sure you've transfered the necessary
updated control panel and init.  Make sure to copy the kernels ending in
d and dBOOT, place them in the Linux kernels folder within the System
folder. Copy also the new ramdisk to your System Folder.  When you
restart from this procedure make sure you select the kernel ending in
BOOT and also the option for the NEW ramdisk you just installed.  You
should then find Anaconda more than happy to behave and go through the
3D installation flawlessly.  Read the installation notes during the
install process.  Suggestion let Anaconda take care of partioning the
drive you want YDL 3.0 to run on; its a really great easy system.
Aplauso. Aplauso.  Applause. Applause to the minds at Terra Soft!!

You should have, after the installation is complete, absolutely no
difficulty; another suggestion: allow the graphical interface as your
login.  And remember we also now can move up to 1Ghz...  I'm sure you'll
move into a sense of awe with that chip and YDL 3.0 in full control of
it.  BOY oh BOY, I can hardly wait longer.  Anyway.  I hope this was
helpful and fun in its unique way.