yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #439 - 13 msgs

Angela Kahealani yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 3 May 2003 18:17:22 -1000

On Sat, 2003-05-03 05:49, Derick Centeno wrote:
> Dear Angela:
> My configuration is slightly older than yours.  I have a 233MHz Beige
> Minitower...its insides aren't what it thinks it is.  It thinks its
> using two IDE drives; but it has only one.  Keeping the discussion as
> simple as possible Apple would not be happy with what I've jerry rigged.

I filled up every possible expansion slot on mine, but didn't do any nasty
hacks to the hardware... except to a plastic bezel covering the bay that
got upgraded from an Apple Factory Zip-100 drive to a Panasonic
(Matshita) DVD-RAM (2.6GB/side) drive.

> Everything works fine however and YDL 3.0 runs beautifully.  I would
> prefer to be running Enlightenment but they are not currently in a
> stable release so I don't mind giving them up for a nice clean
> integrated KDE/Gnome interface.  Everything is configurable and although
> the Wonderland theme is a great improvement; however my tastes are
> different but there are enough options to keep my dark side happy.
> Something along the lines of the Skypilot theme in Mozilla would be my
> preference but I'll be satisfied with deep dark reds.
>
> To your difficulty:
> On the first install CD, make sure you've transfered the necessary
> updated control panel and init.  Make sure to copy the kernels ending in
> d and dBOOT, place them in the Linux kernels folder within the System
> folder. Copy also the new ramdisk to your System Folder.  When you
> restart from this procedure make sure you select the kernel ending in
> BOOT and also the option for the NEW ramdisk you just installed.  You
> should then find Anaconda more than happy to behave and go through the
> 3D installation flawlessly.  Read the installation notes during the
> install process.  Suggestion let Anaconda take care of partioning the
> drive you want YDL 3.0 to run on; its a really great easy system.
> Aplauso. Aplauso.  Applause. Applause to the minds at Terra Soft!!
>
> You should have, after the installation is complete, absolutely no
> difficulty;

still have the one I posted

> another suggestion: allow the graphical interface as your login.

not until I get video working stably

> And remember we also now can move up to 1Ghz...  I'm sure you'll
> move into a sense of awe with that chip and YDL 3.0 in full control of
> it.

I tried a 532MHz G4 upgrade and it didn't work out... my motherboard's
got some marginal timing issues on the IDE controllers / busses that
begin to fail with a different processor.

> BOY oh BOY, I can hardly wait longer.

Me either, so ordered a PC.

> Anyway.  I hope this was helpful and fun in its unique way.

Uniquely fun in a helpful sort of way

--
Copyright 2003 Angela Kahealani. http://www.kahealani.com/
All Rights Reserved Without Prejudice, UCC 1-207,