yellowdog-newbie digest

Jonas Sundstrom yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 17 May 2003 12:44:14 +0200 CEST

Derick Centeno <aguila@macol.net> wrote:
> First Scott.
> Sir, you cannot sincerely expect work (graphical interfaces)
> such as the graphical interface which installs YDL to appear
> willy nilly on SUSE Linux supporting a 386 box!!  The closest
> you may have come to that kind of support would have been
> purchasing the Red Hat version of Linux, which at least YDL
> utilizes to some extent.

Hey, you're jumping the gun here..

He's asking for a graphical package management app,
for use -with YDL-.

(similar to what is available in many other distros,
like Suse, for example)

> ALL Macs using OS X, are defined as using a standard
> of Unix, known as BSD Unix which is SUPERIOR and
> MORE STABLE than any Linux version.

Superior is a very strong word to be using.
Remember that this is just an operating system.
This kind of 'advocacy' does more harm than good.

I also wonder why you're here on the YDL list when
you clearly prefer Darwin/MacOS X.

> As ALL such defined Macs are UNIX boxes essentially
> that means the command line is available at all times
> to the user that has researched sufficiently well on how to
> access and utilize it.  The command line interface which
> Mac OS X, all Linux, and all other Unix's are built around
> is way way superior to anything DOS is capable of.

It looks like you're just as not- up2date as Angela here.

You can't buy a new PC with anything DOS-based anymore.

Those with older computers running Win9x/ME  (the
deprecated DOS-branch of Microsofts platform offerings)
would have to be compared to earlier Macs (603/604 based=3F)
running earlier systems (System 7=3F)

> the Mac OS is now more stable than any version
> of DOS or the Microsoft OS, can ever hope to be.

Much can be said for Microsofts business tactics,
but to rule out the possibility of them ever delivering
something really good is just foolish.

> Unix servers and workstations NEVER crash or fail.

Yes they do, occasionally, depending on the quality
of your device drivers.

User apps and system servers (AKA daemons)
each run in their own protected space,
but device drivers (kernel extensions, whatever)
run in the kernel's adress space, (for performance
reasons) and if one crashes the entire OS crashes.

Ever heard of a 'kernel panic' =3F

Linux and the BSD-based plaftorms are equally
susceptible to this.

There's a kernel/platform design called micro-kernel,
where drivers, too, run in protected space, like
www.qnx.com for example, but the common
perception is that monolithic (addon-loading) kernels
such as that of Linux, Darwin, WindowsNT/2000 (=3F),
BeOS, etc, have better performance.

There's also the issue of hardware failure.

Traditionally, vendors of Unix servers
(as well as other non-Unix server platforms)
usually sell you their own hardware, with quality
hardware (quality engineered, multiple redundant
parts of all that essentiall components, fans, power,
memory, processors, etc), and quality (close to bugfree)
device drivers. Plus the system has a few quality server
apps to run, filesharing, databased, email, etc.

That's why those computers have a close to 100%
uptime. It's not magic, it's the strenght of the weakest link.

> So, Scott, why are you using a German repackaged
> Linux when Linux was developed in the US=3F

Linux was started in Finland.
It's an international project.

(Red Hat is just a distro, not the original, in case anyone's
wondering. In fact, Linux is just the kernel, the rest: CLI, GUI,
apps, utilities, is just bundling. Almost all of the software
usually found in a Linux distro, that people interface with,
either via CLI or GUI, can be used on other Unix (and similar)
platforms too.)

> I will admit to being tempted myself, all that spiffy talk of
> German engineering and such.  But you, like Angela, went
> over to the PC, so why are you here=3F=3F To Lament=3F=3F
> Sing Auld Lang Syne=3F=3F

Some of us have both x86 -and- PowerPC harware.

There's no need for hostility.

> but switching to Microsoft OS on any PC is just plain silly!!
> You did know that customer support for most PC vendors
> could be in Russia,Britain or Ireland or even India or Pakistan!

I'm in Sweden, and I think my Apple support is in Ireland.
No big deal.

> PCs have a very low level of standardization to the point
> that many times the floppy drive of one machine can't
> read the format created from its neighbor

Come on... This is just FUD.
I've never heard of anyone having this problem.

Besides, who uses floppies anymore=3F

Given the huge amount of PC hardware, there's bound to be
the occasional "bad apple".  (no pun intended)

Apple hardware is usually great, but PC hardware
is not as bad as you make it out to be.

Conclusion: lighten up and embrace the world:
Multiple races, nations, software and hardware platforms.

/Jonas Sundstr=F6m.                 www.kirilla.com