No video...all is darkness...

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 17 May 2003 10:08:40 -0600

Hi,

I have tried to install YDL 2, and now YDL 3 on several machines, with not much
success.

My latest attempt at an installation:

YDL 3 on a Power Center 150, lots of ram, YDL installed on a 3 gig SCSI external
hard drive, Applevision 17 monitor.  Both attempts started with a clean hard
drive, low level format, all data zeroed.

Attempt #1...Installation went fine. Installation program worked great.  I
specified graphical login screen.  Booted in Linux, and screen went black (with
maybe one or two flickers of some text) when it got to the graphical login.

Attempt #2...Installatin went fine.  Installation program worked great.  I
specified text login screen.  Booted in Linux, and text-based login and password
prompts came as expected.  Screen went black, but you could tell that KDE was

So obviously YDL does not like the video settings of some sort.  I've specified
both 800 x 600 and thousands of colors, and 1024 x 768 and thousands of colors.
 I didn't know how much video ram to specify during YDL installation, because I
don't know how to figure that out.  The default was 2 megs, so I went with that.

Any clues?  I really would like to get YDL running on SOMETHING.  I also tried
on an all-in-one-beige-G3, but it would only show the installation program in
distorted weird colors, on the left half of the screen.

How a common person is ever to use YDL, is beyond me, but I keep trying.

Thanks

R. Jay Goos

YDL.net - The online community for Yellow Dog Linux users