No video...all is darkness...

Francis Maier yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 17 May 2003 10:39:46 -0600

Amen to this.  I have now attempted for a week (20+ times and ways) to
install YDL 3 on my beige PowerMac G3 -- external hard drive,
reformatting my internal drive, etc., etc.  So far it's been nothing but
frustration.  One freeze after another.  With Madrake, at least I can
get it to install.

Fran Maier

-----Original Message-----
From: rjgoos@ydl.net [mailto:rjgoos@ydl.net]
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2003 10:09 AM
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: No video...all is darkness...

Hi,

I have tried to install YDL 2, and now YDL 3 on several machines, with
not much
success.

My latest attempt at an installation:

YDL 3 on a Power Center 150, lots of ram, YDL installed on a 3 gig SCSI
external
hard drive, Applevision 17 monitor.  Both attempts started with a clean
hard
drive, low level format, all data zeroed.

Attempt #1...Installation went fine. Installation program worked great.
specified graphical login screen.  Booted in Linux, and screen went
black (with
maybe one or two flickers of some text) when it got to the graphical
login.

Attempt #2...Installatin went fine.  Installation program worked great.
specified text login screen.  Booted in Linux, and text-based login and
password
prompts came as expected.  Screen went black, but you could tell that
KDE was
KDE desktop.

So obviously YDL does not like the video settings of some sort.  I've
specified
both 800 x 600 and thousands of colors, and 1024 x 768 and thousands of
colors.
 I didn't know how much video ram to specify during YDL installation,
because I
don't know how to figure that out.  The default was 2 megs, so I went
with that.

Any clues?  I really would like to get YDL running on SOMETHING.  I also
tried
on an all-in-one-beige-G3, but it would only show the installation
program in
distorted weird colors, on the left half of the screen.

How a common person is ever to use YDL, is beyond me, but I keep trying.

Thanks

R. Jay Goos