Howto?: network a Beige OSX and 7600 YDL2.3

Ron Smith yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 11:49:21 -0700

They will need to be connected physically, then configured logically.

Physically what you will probably want to do is get a simple ethernet
hub. Instead of using the crossover cable, you will use a
straight-through cable to go from each machine to the hub. Once they
are physically wired to the hub they will be able to "see" each other
when you get the logical configuration correct.

For the logical configuration you will need to set their IP address and
netmasks to be on the same subnet. For instance you could configure the
Beige OS X machine to be IP address 10.10.10.5 with a netmask of
255.255.255.0  then configure the PowerMac to be 10.10.10.6 with a
netmask of 255.255.255.0  With both of them plugged into the hub (or
with a crossover cable) they should be able to ping each other. If you
are using the Beige OS X machine you would open up a terminal and use
the command:

ping 10.10.10.6

and it should return something similar to:

You will have to <control> C to make it stop! =)

At that point they are networked together and you can share files or
use whatever network applications that you want to use.

I hope that helps.

-Ron