does anyone know how to get a Newertech G3 processor upgrade to run yellowdog 3.0?

Steve Munsell yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 01:52:06 -0400

--Apple-Mail-58-199998698

--Apple-Mail-59-199998698

i did what ron had suggested in a 7300 a month ago... and it solved all
of my install problems... then placed g4 card back in and it picked it
right up... The 6500 being such an upgrade challenged machine is you
biggest problem (especially the ram limitations apple stuck us on that
box). Switching the card in and out may work, but i have a feeling that
ydl really may not know where to look for it or find it, or even use
it. It may take lots of work to get it to see and/or use the card and
at that maybe even never run smooth. My advice is to do a text install
using original proc on board (and it will run better and faster than it
ever did with os 8 or 9), use it for whatever tasks you can, and look
on ebay for a 7300, 8500, 9500 etc ($50 - $100)... if you want a linux
powerhouse... Those machines work like a champ and run very well with
604 processors and/or upgraded g3/4 cards, video cards, usb cards,
firewire etc... I am running 3 of them as lightweight servers, and
getting ready to use a 6500 in text only... for dns and mail
services... It sounds like an interesting project, i hope it works for
you, but for me it is a dead end machine and i'd give up before it
drove me crazy... Curious to know how it worked though... steve

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 10:30 PM, Ron Smith wrote:

> I don't have  any personal experience with this, but I have read in a
> couple of places that putting the original processor back into it,
> installing YDL, then putting the G3 back into it is the way to do > this.
>
> -Ron
>
> On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 06:47 PM, James A. Ricken wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>  I own a old Mac 6500 ( yes people it's really old)and I was wondering
>> if anyone knew how to get yellow dog linux 3.0 to run on this Mac 6500
>> with 128 megs ram and a Newertech maxpowr G3 Processor that runs in
>> the
>> cache
>> slot.
>> Any ideas?
>> Jim

"The power of the press goes to the individual who owns one..."

Steve Munsell
steve@contagiousgraphics.com (work)
sneferu@mac.com (personal)

IM - TheSneferu

Contagious Graphics
8107 Arrowridge Blvd Suite S
Charlotte, NC 28273
704-529-5600

[...]

<excerpt>I don't have  any personal experience with this, but I have
read in a couple of places that putting the original processor back
into it, installing YDL, then putting the G3 back into it is the way
to do this.

-Ron

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 06:47 PM, James A. Ricken wrote:

<excerpt>Hi

 I own a old Mac 6500 ( yes people it's really old)and I was wondering

if anyone knew how to get yellow dog linux 3.0 to run on this Mac 6500

with 128 megs ram and a Newertech maxpowr G3 Processor that runs in the

cache

slot.

Any ideas?

Jim

</excerpt>

</excerpt><italic>"The power of the press goes to the individual who
owns one..."

Steve Munsell

(work)

(personal)

IM - TheSneferu

Contagious Graphics

8107 Arrowridge Blvd Suite S

Charlotte, NC 28273

704-529-5600

</italic>
--Apple-Mail-59-199998698--

--Apple-Mail-58-199998698

BEGIN:VCARD=0D
VERSION:3.0=0D
N:Munsell;Steve;;;=0D
FN:Steve Munsell=0D
ORG:Contagious Graphics;=0D
TITLE:Boss Man=0D
EMAIL;type=3DWORK;type=3Dpref:steve@contagiousgraphics.com=0D
EMAIL;type=3DHOME:sneferu@mac.com=0D
TEL;type=3DWORK;type=3Dpref:704-529-5600=0D
TEL;type=3DHOME:704-563-1427=0D
TEL;type=3DCELL:704-618-0115=0D
ADR;type=3DWORK;type=3Dpref:;;8107 Arrowridge Blvd Suite =
S;Charlotte;NC;28273;USA=0D
ADR;type=3DHOME:;;1748 Flynnwood Dr;Charlotte;NC;28205;USA=0D
URL:www.contagiousgraphics.com=0D
X-AIM;type=3DHOME;type=3Dpref:TheSneferu=0D
END:VCARD=0D

--Apple-Mail-58-199998698

--Apple-Mail-60-199998699

--Apple-Mail-60-199998699