iMac Rev A -- newbie help

Goofus yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 07:24:20 -0400

I'm reposting this only because the subject line kinda looked like porn spam
the first time it came through...sorry about that.  Thanks in advance.

Hi folks,

First of all, I'm a Linux newbie -- and by "newbie" I mean NEWBIE!  Think of
me as that spiked punch served at the prom where your parents first danced!

I'm not going to go into too much detail yet, because like every question
I've asked about this iMac since January 2000 I expect the answer to be "you
can't do [xxxxxxxxx] because you have an original iMac".  If I don't get
that response from this I'll post more detail.

Mac OS 9 installed just fine, YDL 3.0 installed just fine, Yaboot's loading
at startup just fine but it won't send me anywhere.  I select "l" for Linux
and it freezes at "please wait, loading kernel...", I select "m" for Mac OS
and it freezes at "booting MacOS..."

Now, I'll tell the stories later about why this is day #15, attempt #13,502
of me trying to get Linux on this machine, but for now...HELP?!?!?!  There's
a screen that says "some systems may require special commands to be sent to
the bootloader..." or something like that -- do I need to put something in
there?

Specs:

iMac, Rev. A (Bondi)
30gb hard drive
233 mhz
96mb RAM
Rage IIC (Mach64), 2MB video
Rage and Frustration in potential user: uncalculable

I'm sure Linux is a wonderful OS, hopefully someday
I'll get to see it for myself.   ;-)

Donald