iMac Rev A -- newbie help

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 12:45:49 +0100

--On Tuesday, May 27, 2003 7:24 am -0400 Goofus <thegoofuskac@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Mac OS 9 installed just fine, YDL 3.0 installed just fine, Yaboot's
> for Linux and it freezes at "please wait, loading kernel...", I select
> "m" for Mac OS and it freezes at "booting MacOS..."
>
> Specs:
>
> iMac, Rev. A (Bondi)
> 30gb hard drive
> 233 mhz
> 96mb RAM
> Rage IIC (Mach64), 2MB video
> Rage and Frustration in potential user: uncalculable

I had this happen to me on a Bondai Blue (Rev B I think it is though!).  I
put it down to installing OSX/9 and Linux on the wrong partitions.  On the
3.0 installation bumf it lists the order of the partitions on which you
should install YDL and the various MacOss.   I repartitioned, changed the
order and it all worked.  Of course, I helpfully now can't remember the
order!  I can tell you, however, from my molrc that the two mac partitions
are hda7 (OSX) and hda8 (OS9), so I assume that hda10 is the 1mb yaboot
bootstrap loader doobrie which leaves hda11 as my swap and hda12 as the YDL
install itself.  I think that's it!  But I'd check the installation guide
for sure!

Hope this helps
Suzanne