iMac Rev A -- newbie help

Goofus yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 15:26:37 -0400

That does help a little, but not only can I not install OSX on here, I don't
have $120 twice a year to keep it up to date anyway.   :-)     I was told by
my Mac guru that the original Rev A Bondi boxes can only support 96mb of
RAM, and OSX needs 128.  That's fine since I don't like OSX, but I
digress...

I've tried literally EVERY partitioning scheme known to man, even deciding
at one point to just trash the MacOS and install Linux exclusively.  Same
thing happened, nothing.

Now, something interesting happened just last night that I *think* might be
one problem, maybe the only one -- during install attempt #13,504 the YDL
installer forced itself into text mode.  THAT suddenly made me think "gee,
you know all this may be being caused by my lack of VRAM" (I only have 2mb),
so I made a call this morning and have the 4mb iMac upgrade chip on the way
for a mere $13.

That *could* solve my problem, and could also explain my boot-freeze and the
occassional "input/output" error I see after various installs.

Any thoughts?  Or did I waste $13?  Actually no, I didn't waste $13 either
way, this thing really does need more than 2mb of VRAM no matter what it
ends up running.   ;-)

D.