Trouble finding / on OldWorldMac (PowerBase)

Mike Murphree yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 10:41:27 -0500 (CDT)

I installed my new YDL 3.0 set on a PowerComputing PowerBase
last night which went well.  Notable changes from standard
configuration on the PowerBase is a PowerLogix G3 upgrade and
a 4 GB Seagate Barracuda drive on the SCSI bus (no IDE drive).
I installed Mac OS 9.1 on a 300 MB HFS partition, and created
a 160 MB swap partition and a 3635 MB partition for / with
Disk Druid.  Using BootX to boot the kernels and the Anaconda
installer worked without a hitch.  The problem is that when I
try to boot the regular kernel, I get a VFS Panic message that
it cannot find the / partition.  In BootX, I disabled the
ramdisk kernel, and specified /dev/sd8 for the / partition as
it was marked in Disk Druid.  Finding a message in the archives
about trouble with a UMAX cpu, I tried downloading and booting
that kernel, but the result was the same.  Unlike the message
about the UMAX cpu, the kernel reported that it found both
the SCSI Barracuda hard drive and Toshiba CD-ROM drives, so
I don't think that was the problem.

Ideas?

TIA,
Mike