More Hardware questions

dfro yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 16:48:52 -0800

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.  I found a linux users
group in my area that meets once a month.  So I will start attending those
meetings.

Since I can't afford to buy another computer at the moment,  I think I will
get OS X and install it on my existing 20 gig hd.  Any advice on which
version of X to get?  Does the latest version of a Mac or Windows OS's always
create a bunch of new bugs that have to be worked through?

After getting OS X, I am still considering 2 scenarios:

1.  After installing OS X on my existing internal hd, I will then get a new
internal hd, either preinstalled w/ YDL, or install YDL myself, and then put
my existing OS X hd in a firewire cradle.  Will yaboot boot OS X from an
external hd? Or are there some keys you can press upon startup that cause the
computer to boot from an external hd?

Will running OS X from an external hd be incredibly slow?  I am guessing it
would be; but, if the answer is no, I could then have YDL exclusively on my
internal hd and OS X on an external hd.

Does anyone have this settup?  Is it working well for you?  How is MOL
affected?  (Am I asking too many questions?)

Or I could try scenario:

2.  Partition my hd for OS X and Linux and backup to another OSX/Linux
partitioned external firewire hd.  I am thinking this is the more funcional
choice at the moment.  I am guessing that Mac-on-Linux would run better in
this case too.

Thanks
Dave