how to format my external drive?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:41:27 -0800 (PST)

Friends:

Clinton MacDonald <clint.macdonald@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> Mac OS X that allows

> Well, I just downloaded and installed the drivers
> myself, and Edith's
> report is entirely accurate -- it works like magic!

Well, it seems I spoke too soon, and the magic had to
end. :-(

Yesterday, I came home to find the Wallstreet running
Mac OS X (with the ext2fsx extensions) had panicked
its kernel. "Hmmm," I thought, "That's bad."

Well, after rebooting and performing "fsck -y" on the
Mac OS X partition, I rebooted again. It took an
inordinately long time for the drives to be
recognized, and when the GUI came up, my YDLinux
partitions were fscked up. :-(

While I don't *know* that the kernel panic was due to
the ext2fsx extensions, that seemed a likely reason. I
have not yet rebooted to Yellow Dog, but I wouldn't be
surprised if the drive was in need of much repair.

This is not to cast any dispersions on the programmers
who made this extension -- they are unpaid,
unsupported by Apple or Terra Soft, and are quite open
about the alpha nature of this software. Anyways, keep
my experience in mind if you are considering mounting
ext2 or ext3 partitions using this driver.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>