More Hardware questions

dfro yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 02 Nov 2003 18:48:33 -0800

Clint

Thanks for the advice.  My computer is a 550 MHz Ti PowerBook G4 laptop
with a 20 gig hd.  It has two USB 1.0 ports and one Firewire port.

Let me know any more thoughts you might have

Thanks
Dave

"Clinton C. MacDonald" wrote:

> > Since I can't afford to buy another computer at the moment, I think I
> > will get OS X and install it on my existing 20 gig hd. Any advice on
> > which version of X to get?
>
> Unfortunately, you have not given enough information for anyone to help
> you. Which Mac do you have? PowerMac, iMac, eMac, iBook, etc.? How fast
> a processor? You do say your hard drive is 20 GB, which is good. I
> assume that, if you have a Firewire drive, you have a more recent Mac,
> all of which are supported with Mac OS X 10.3.

My original letter was:

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.  I found a linux users
group in my area that meets once a month.  So I will start attending those
meetings.

Since I can't afford to buy another computer at the moment,  I think I will

get OS X and install it on my existing 20 gig hd.  Any advice on which
version of X to get?  Does the latest version of a Mac or Windows OS's
always
create a bunch of new bugs that have to be worked through?

After getting OS X, I am still considering 2 scenarios:

1.  After installing OS X on my existing internal hd, I will then get a new

internal hd, either preinstalled w/ YDL, or install YDL myself, and then
put
my existing OS X hd in a firewire cradle.  Will yaboot boot OS X from an
external hd? Or are there some keys you can press upon startup that cause
the
computer to boot from an external hd?

Will running OS X from an external hd be incredibly slow?  I am guessing it

would be; but, if the answer is no, I could then have YDL exclusively on my

internal hd and OS X on an external hd.

Does anyone have this settup?  Is it working well for you?  How is MOL
affected?  (Am I asking too many questions?)

Or I could try scenario:

2.  Partition my hd for OS X and Linux and backup to another OSX/Linux
partitioned external firewire hd.  I am thinking this is the more funcional

choice at the moment.  I am guessing that Mac-on-Linux would run better in
this case too.

Thanks
Dave