Don't know what help to ask for... Resolved so damn fast!!!

Keith Johnson yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 20:11:50 -0800

>>Apologies for not searching the list before asking this, but I don't=20
>>even know what to search for. I don't know where the problem started,=20
>>nor what it is.

>[big snip]

>This sounds just like what happened to me when I fell victim to the=20
>dual drive problem. Do you by chance have two drives? If you do, go to=20
>this page <http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/> and scroll down to=20
>where it says, "Lost Mac OS & have 2 drives?".

This looks exactly like what happened to me. I have 4 physical hard =
drives
in my poor little computer. hda is an 80gig drive that has the OSX =
partition
on it. hdb is a 40gig drive that has 3 HFS+ partitions (for various =
crap)
and 20gigs that I set aside for Sirius. The other 2 drives are 36gig =
SCSI
drives connected to an Adaptec 39160 PCI card to house my games and =
data.

Now, all I have to do is figure out how to boot into Linux, and then =
I'll do
ok. Currently, I'm thinking of booting from the install CD#1. Is there =
an
easier way? Looks like I've got some reading to do.

Thanks for the swift reply guys!

Keith

...ok, I've booted to the Sirius install CD#1, and I've gotten to the
partitioning part. I clicked on Disk Druid (for kicks) and got this =
error
message:

Partition map has no partition map entry
Fix/Cancel

Hitting fix gets this message

Partition table had unreadable blah blah... create new (erase data?)

Going into pdisk (the old one), I get the following partition tables for =
hda
and hdb:

hda:

#    type              name               blah   blah
1 Apple_Bootstrap      Apple
2 Apple_Driver_ATA     Macintosh
3 Apple_Driver_ATA     Macintosh
4 Apple_Driver_|OKit   Macintosh
5 Apple_Patches        Patch Partition
6 Apple_HFS            "OS X"
7 Apple_Free           Extra

hdb:

#                type  name               blah   blah
1 Apple_partition_map  Apple
2 Apple_Driver_ATA     Macintosh
3 Apple_Driver_ATA     Macintosh
4 Apple_Driver_|OKit   Macintosh
5 Apple_Patches        Patch Partition
6 Apple_HFS            "Matrix"
7 Apple_Bootstrap      bootstrap
8 Apple_UNIX_SVR2      swap
9 Apple_UNIX_SVR2      untitled
10 Apple_Free          Extra
11 Apple_HFS           "Linux"
12 Apple_HFS           "Sirius"

So I'm wondering why hdb7 is a bootstrap partition, if this =
configuration is
ok, and if not, how do I fix it?

Guidance would be appreciated.