G3 iMacs display and sound

Reid Solberg yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:04:35 -0700

I'm currently running YDL 3.0 Sirius on an iMac.  That machine is a G3
400MHz, 128MB ram, 10GB hard drive.  I have been having several issues with
it.  Firstly, when I installed it, the installation system was unable to go
into graphical mode.  After installation, I've noticed than when I log out,
and X restarts, the monitor goes blank.  I first thought that this was the
computer becoming unresponsive, but after it occurred several times, I
connected an external monitor to the computer when the iMac's screen went
blank.  Immediately, the login screen appeared on the external monitor, but
in 640x480.  Also, the iMac's sound will not work until I run the soundcard
detection applet on each boot.  Are these issues resolvable?  I have 32 of
these iMacs, all the same except for varying amounts of ram (128-320MB) and
all but this one running OS 9.22.  I'm beginning to feel glad that I decided
to pilot Linux on one machine at first, and not have them all down right
now.

I appreciate your help.

Reid Solberg
http://reid.tk