openssh 3.7.1p1 needs a patch to compile against openssl-0.9. 7a

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:09:38 -0700

> Thanks.  Any pointers on how I learn about the RPM thing?  I'm old
> school I guess.  I only did the compile and install so I
> could tell it
> where to install.  YellowDog's default MySQL install is kind
> of strange
> on where it puts things....

My free advice would be to get really familiar with compiling code in
general. Nowadays, you don't have to be a C programmer to get modules to
compile. Look at me! I'm a PHB (pointy-haired boss) and I can do it! I can
kinda see what most C code does but I'm no great C programmer. But I do know
somewhat about compilers, linkers and libraries and dynamic and static code.
And I know what header files do and why you need them.

To get most tarballs compiled, you don't even need to know any of this. All
you do is: ./configure; make; sudo make install. If you've got all the
needed libraries on your machine, presto, you've just compiled and installed
an application.

Source RPMS are a bit more rigorous but are just about as easy to use.

Here's a bit more detail than you might need:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/howtos/mdk-rpm/building.html