YDL Stalls on Boot

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:01:03 -0500

Mr. Howenstein:

I don't have too much advice to offer you -- perhaps a more experienced
head knows your symptoms. Nevertheless...

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 10:44  AM, Brian Howenstein wrote:
> I just installed YDL 3.0.1 on a Dual 1GHz G4 Quicksilver 2002.

Oooh nice! Why are you playing with Yellow Dog Linux when you have such
a fine OS X machine? ;-)

> The installation was successfully completed, but after the
> installation restart, YDL will not boot. The boot process stalls at
> the point "Bringing up loopback interface: ".

Are you certain it is "hung," and not merely waiting for an uncommonly
long timeout? I know that some services that start during the first
bootup have very long (five minutes or more) setup periods and
timeouts. The CUPS printer setup is one, for instance. Another is
ethernet networking. Maybe "loopback interface" is one more of those.
Have you tried just letting the machine sit for thirty minutes or more
during startup?

> Main HD:
> Mac OS X: Majority of Drive
> Mac OS 9: 2 GB
> YDL 3.0.1: 15 GB (Linux partition was created automatically)
>
> 2nd Drive is one partition for storage.

There used to be a bug that affected installations on machines with two
drive, but I thought that was supposed to be fixed with YDL 3.0.1.
Hmmm....

I hope someone else comes up with some better advice for you. :-(

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>