mounting a USB memory stick

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
04 Oct 2003 16:13:15 -0500

Mr. Hartwig:

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 15:53, Sebastian Hartwig wrote:
> My problem now is this: I use an USB memory stick. The iBook has two USB
> ports, so there should be no problem. I once mounted the USB stick with
>
> mount -tvfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb
>
> which worked well, even one second time, but most times the terminal is just
> freezing and nothing happens.

I think your problem is a simple typing error. Shouldn't that line be:

[root]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb

(noting the space between the "-t" and the "vfat")?

The man page says:

The standard form of the mount command, is
     mount -t type device dir
This tells the kernel to attach the file system found on device (which
is of type type) at the directory dir. The previous contents (if any)
and owner and mode of dir become invisible, and as long as this file
system remains mounted,the pathname dir refers to the root of the file
system on device.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Clinton MacDonald <clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT net>