Need help adding an entry to yaboot

Bo Parker yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 05 Oct 2003 20:08:45 +0000

Greetings

I have recently installed Yellow Dog Linux on my 2002 Quicksilver
G4 933. My disk partitions are as follows:

Master ATA drive, 80 GB:

26 GB for YDL
200 MB HFS
51 GB HFS+ (No OS, just data files)

Slave ATA drive, 60 GB:

60 GB HFS+ for Mac OS X and OS 9

The first time I tried to install YDL, I somehow managed to trash
the 60 GB hard disk (and the OS 9/OS X partition). I don't know
how it happened, but I didn't want to risk it happening again. So
I restored the OS 9/OS X partition from yesterday's backup,
booted into OS X, re-partitioned the 80 GB Master drive, and then
shut down and disconnected the 60 GB ATA Slave drive with the OS
9/OS X partition. Then I went through the YDL installation again,
onto the 80 GB ATA Master drive, and it worked just fine.

HOWEVER: Since the disk with the the OS 9/OS X partition wasn't
connected during the install, yaboot couldn't see it and so I had
no way to specify it as one of the yaboot-selectable boot disks.
I can boot into OS X by holding down the Option key during boot
and selecting OS X on the the OS 9/OS X partition.

It works fine, but isn't exactly an elegant solution.

So I ask: is there a way I can make yaboot present me with the
option to boot into OS X? Is there some text file or some such I
can edit to make the the OS 9/OS X partition show up in yaboot?
If so, what would I add to that file?

This is my first linux, but i have been using fink under OS X for
about a year, so, while I'm not a total unix/linux newbie, I'm
definitely not an expert.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-Bo Parker