Post install problems

Matthew Brown yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 06 Oct 2003 10:30:57 -0400

Hi everyone,

Managed to get YDL installed after my earlier problems, used 650MB cdr's
instead and all is well.

However, I have a few questions about some problems I am having. First off,
sound. All I get is a horrible buzzing noise from the speakers on my iMac
DV. On booting, I get this error message:

Error while initialzing the Sound Driver

device /dev/dsp cant be opened (No such device)

The sound server will continue using the null output.

When I try to detect the sound card, it plays those chimes, I click I heard
the sample, then try to play a CD......nothing!

Next, on boot up, it is not recognising eth0 for the integrated ethernet
port. In the network config panel, I try to activate it there, but nothing
gives. I am running my cable modem straight into the machine. I called my
ISP, but got the proverbial " we dont support Linux "  answer. Eventually I
am going to use a router so that I can have both machines connected. Will
this solve my problem in any way?

Lastly, its about a 50% chance I get the Login screen after logging out when
I want to shut down. What might cause this, or is there an update patch to
fix it?

Ok, I am done for now....I am sure there will be many silly questions to
come in the near future :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

Matt

Share your photos without swamping your Inbox.  Get Hotmail Extra Storage