Install trouble No hard disks found

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:30:42 -0500

Mr. Leyba:

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 11:47  AM, Leyba, Matt wrote:
> On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 02:37 PM, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
>> Almost certainly, you have found the "Anaconda installer Dual Hard
>> Drive Bug." Yellow Dog offers two pages with solutions:
>
> Thanks for your reply, but I don't think this is the source of my
> problem. My machine does not have 2 drives and is not a mirror door or
> wind tunnel G4 the YD page mentions.

You are right -- I'm sorry I misread your post. :-(

> My exact procedure is to boot from an OS 9 disk, create 2 partitions
> on the only drive in each of these machines. The first partition is
> Extended for OS X, the second is unallocated, I have made both
> partitions around 5G. I restart from the YD disk and go through the
> install until I get to the stage as mentioned before, No Hard Disks
> Found.

Try this procedure, instead:

[1] Boot from the Mac OS 9 disk.
[2] Choose to create *one* partition (or two -- see note below). Format
it as Mac HFS+ (I think it might call it "Mac OS Extended").
[3] Resize that partition ("Untitled") to make it smaller, either using
the GUI or by typing in a value in the text box.

You have now created a Mac OS HFS+ partition to which you can install
Mac OS 9 and a truly "unallocated" second partition in all the
remaining space. The Yellow Dog Linux installer will recognize that
unallocated region and install to it.

That *should* work for you.

Note: I have found it very useful to create a third "transfer"
partition (i.e., create two partitions from the OS 9 installer disk).
The "transfer" partition I format as Mac OS HFS (not HFS+), which can
be mounted by both the Macintosh and Linux environments.

> BTW I ordered a new version too, the FTP site was sloooooooow.

That's a great move! You will receive the 3.0.1 disks, and those are
reported to have many bug fixes and security updates.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>