Hard drive not found with Yellow Dog 3.0

Barnes, Lee yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:47:20 -0400

Dear all,

	Having a really strange go of it with a pair of Apple Xserve 1u =
computers that are nearly identical outside of being approximately a =
year apart in age.  The older computer gave us a few worries installing =
the MacOS X (10.2.6) but didn't have any problems at all with Yellowdog =
of older and newer versions.  Our new Xserve, on the other hand, handled =
the install of MacOS X (10.2.6) without a hitch, but (anaconda) does not =
detect the hard disk drive for the Yellowdog 3.0 install.  When it is =
going through the boot-up after getting past the boot loader of the CD, =
I see it mention the DVD/CD-RW combo drive as being /dev/hda and then I =
see that it also brings up the Adaptec AIC-7xxx driver and mention that =
it is for IDE devices, but the hard disk drive is not mentioned by =
anaconda... =20
=09
	I read and understand that Hot-swappable devices are not supported in =
this version of Yellowdog, and have made sure that the first partition =
is unformatted/unalotted, while the second one was with Extended MacOS =
(Extended HFS).   When I get past the error saying that there isn't a =
suitable location of the installation, I'm given the option of loading =
drivers that came with Yellowdog 3.0; could it be an issue of needing =
aic-79xx instead of the loaded aic-7xxx driver for this IDE controller?  =
(Going with the assumption that this machine requires the ATA Hard Disk =
Drive to be treated as a SCSI device, much as an USB or Firewire HDD.)=20
=09
	At present, the two drivers which are loaded are: Tigon 3 (gigabit =
ethernet) and Apple GMAC (don't know what this one is about).     =20

Info on the system:=20
	Memory: 		1024MB
	Processors: 		(dual) 1.33GHz PowerPC G4's
	Machine model:		RackMack1,2 (version =3D 3.3)=20
	Boot ROM Info:		4.6.5f3
	Drive1:			Internal Drive | Seagate | ST360015A | ATA | 57.24GB  (Mac OS =
10.2.8 on the second 20GB partition)
	PCI Card:		Tigon 3 (Broadcom) Gigabit Ethernet

	Sincerely,

=09
		Lee