Installing, apt-get, yum, package management, 7300 2nd post

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:19:37 -0700

> video=controlfb:vmode:17,cmode:8 3
<snip>
>Hey thanks a lot, that's great. I gotta ask though, are those then options
for
>rebuilding the kernel with? Or are those for the kernel configuration
utility?
>And which list exactly do you mean? :) :) Will this help XFree86 look
better
>and/or faster? I really appreciate your help on this.

I had assumed it was a command line to use at the boot prompt. When the
system comes up, you can say:

linux <arguments go here>

and the command line you give gets passed to the kernel for it to boot in
that mode.

I sometimes use

"linux vga=ask" to change my console resolution.

I also frequently use

"linux 2" to boot into level 2 when my laptop isn't LAN-ified.