successful install on beige g3 300, but really slow (?) why?

Simon Mushi yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:02:02 +0000 (DST)

 K,

>From the performance I remember having on my G3 minitower (300Mhz, 512Mb
Ram, 18Gig HD) I can tell you it was often times slower running linux than
my PII 300. I  was unsuccesful in installing ydl 3.0, drake and only
debian ppc woody was able to complete an install. And running gnome and
just a web-browser I was almost convinced to using os9 on the
machine...but common sense told me otherwise :). I think a good option
would be to use a lightweight but very functional wm such as fluxbox (my
favorite) or xfce. And if you desire to tweak out even more performance
you can explore the gentoo linux distro (which I've had for a while on my
pc). There is a lot of opionionated debate about the extent to which the
"compile from scratch with custom optimizations" a la gentoo will speed up
a box, but I will try and get gentoo onto my G3 in the coming weeks and
see for myself.

Best

Simon