successful install on beige g3 300, but really slow (?) why?

Keith Yares Engel yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:02:14 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1372937993-1065794534=:29230

So, I successfully installed ydl 3.0 on my beige g3 300 minitower. My machine specs are like this: g3 300 (factory), 256 ram, 8 gig hd (divided 1 gig for os 9, 7 gig for ydl), ati rage 128 with 16 megs ram.

Everything's cool but i'm noticing that it seems to be pretty slow.  Is this normal? Like, mac-os-x-on-my-machine caliber slow. applications seem to take too long to load...os 9 is much quicker.  seems bogged down.... forget that tux racer game.

I'm wondering if it's because maybe:
-i did the full install, all 5.5 gigs of ydl onto a 7 gig partition.
-i'm running kde instead of gnome.
-or something else is out of whack.

-or this is just how it is. hopefully, this is not the case. one of the many reasons why i'm making this switch to linux is because i wanted an o.s. that wasn't very heavy on top of my system. what i'm seeing isn't thrilling me very much...

help, anyone?  suggestions? ways to run ydl much lighter on my system?

thanks

--0-1372937993-1065794534=:29230

<DIV>So, I successfully installed ydl 3.0 on my beige g3 300 minitower. My machine specs are like this: g3 300 (factory), 256 ram, 8 gig hd (divided 1 gig for os 9, 7 gig for ydl), ati rage 128 with 16 megs ram.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Everything's cool but i'm noticing that it seems to be pretty slow.&nbsp; Is this normal? Like, mac-os-x-on-my-machine caliber slow. applications seem to take too long to load...os 9 is much quicker.&nbsp; seems bogged down.... forget that tux racer game.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm wondering if it's because maybe:</DIV>
<DIV>-i did the full install, all 5.5 gigs of&nbsp;ydl onto a 7 gig partition.</DIV>
<DIV>-i'm running kde instead of gnome.</DIV>
<DIV>-or something else is out of whack.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-or this is just how it is. hopefully, this is not the case. one of the many reasons why i'm making this switch to linux is because i wanted an o.s. that wasn't very heavy on top of my system. what i'm seeing isn't thrilling me very much...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>help, anyone?&nbsp; suggestions? ways to run ydl much lighter on my system?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>thanks</DIV>
<DIV>k</DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>