mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:17:02 +0200 (CEST)

> I made some more progress towards mounting hfsplus partitions from YDL.

and today a LOT more. it seems that hfsplus is part of the standard
linux kernel distribution from 2.4.21 (you get 2.4.20 in YDL 3.0).
so I went to www.ppckernel.org where I got the official stable
kernel source of 2.4.22. i also picked up a kernel configuration
file (".config") at the same site, tailor-made for iBook.
then i carefully followed the instructions at

http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml

incidentally there are a lot more great howto's close by but i can't
find links to them from yellowdog's initial home pages. seems a
secret for the insiders... [a friendly linux expert located this page
for me by a google search]

this particular page is on how to build your own kernel.
it is very clearly written.

at the configuration stage ("make xconfig")
i simply chose to add hfsplus included in to the kernel,
the default (in the configuration file i'd picked up) had it excluded.

i did everything by the book. at the exciting reboot with the new kernel
there was a problem: total standstill at the "looking for new hardware"
message. i had to reset and reboot with the old kernel and remove
the relevant item (kudzu) from rc5.d.  After that IT WORKED except
that I lost contact with my ethernet card and my sound so I have
to do some further reconfiguration, I think of /etc/modules.conf
[the old configuration does not match the new one, obviously,
and the old modules.conf contains precisely a couple of items on
network card and sound].

i guess all this is not for newbies and requires some patience and
some nerves... so i hope someone at YDL is listening and will give
us soon a newer kernel WITH hfsplus support included!!!!

richard

ps. i had also tried to use the .config which seems to come with YDL
with a newer kernel source but all kinds of weird things went wrong.
also using newer precompiled kernels from www.ppckernel.org
was not a success since either they didn't work or they didn't
have hfsplus. not that i tried them ALL yet...