Stock 7500 won't boot 3.0

Lee Dunbar yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 05:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

Stock Power Macintosh 7500/100: Original CPU (601, 100 MHz), 288 megs ram (Original 32 megs + 2 @ OWC 128 meg), 1.2 Gig Quantum + added 1.0 Gig Seagate, Original Apple 600i CDROM drive, no added cards (no IDE, no added graphics/video cards), no modem. Apple 12" RGB monitor.

I downloaded YDL3.0 about 2 days after it was announced, saved to a Windows98SE PC. After downloading the ISOs, I verified the md5sums were matching. I burned the CDs at 32x on to 48x CDR media with Nero 5.5.7.1, no errors were reported during the burn. The recorder is new, having burned < 20 CDR/CDRWs thus far.

I placed the burned YDL 3.0 CDR into the Apple 600i CDROM reader of my PowerMac 7500. I shutdown the Mac, waited 5 seconds, powered the mac up, and immediately after hearing the chimes of Macintosh happiness, but before the grey screen pops on, I pressed and held the "c" key, to boot from CDROM. I heard the CDROM drive do a head seek, but then the system boots from the hard disk (MacOS 8.1).

The YDL CD is fine after the Mac boots from the hard disk - I can see folders including a folder which looks like a system folder, I see files, I can open the readme file which launches my OS 8.1 Simpletext, etc.

I have tried different key combinations: Command-c, command-shift-c, command-option-control-c, nothing will boot the YDL CD.

I ejected the YDL CD, inserted the MacOS 8.1 installation CD, and rebooted the Mac from the 8.1 CD. In order to get the mac to boot from the 8.1 install CD, I press the single "c" key.

Today, I returned to the YDL site, and see that YDL is now 3.0.1.

Any chance that my Mac will ever use YDL?

-- Six of a dozen, half of one or the other...