mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:41:24 +0200 (CEST)

>> So I had started all over and now most problems
>> have gone. However I just noticed (thanks to
>> pdisk) that I haven't succeeded to get the linux
>> partitions ahead of the mac partitions, after all!
>> I used Mac OSX's Disk Utility and asked for free space,
>> then a mac hfs, and then a mac hfs+ partition.
>> However it has put the free space after the mac
>> partitions.

> I haven't tried this procedure, so you may want to wait for more input
> (unless you're not afraid of screwing things up), But their is a fix
> http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml
> in essence saying that you can reorder your partitions.

Thanks mascarasnake (and thanks Bill and Clint for the reminder
about ext2fsx, I'll give it a try). Norberto pointed out to me that
the order of the partitions hda1, hda2, is typically the order they
were formatted. So if you create empty space ahead of an hfs+
partitions, and then install linux into the empty space, the partition
numbers will be higher, but the physical location earlier.

Now actually everything is working for me fine now (as far as I know)
so I'm not sure I should reorder (renumber?) my partitions. It is the
case when I use Mac OSX's "startup disk" preference panel, the system
no longer boots via yaboot; so I have to hold down the option key
at start up to get to yaboot and to linux and then do ybin -b /dev/hda9
to get things back how they were. According to what I read this little
problem wouldn't arise if the partitions were in the right order...
But I'm not sure if I believe that. Anyone know for sure?

Richard