mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

mascarasnake yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
14 Oct 2003 11:40:43 -0400

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 05:15, Richard D. Gill wrote:
> PS. The starting point of my questions were the
> problems which seem to be caused by accidentally
> putting the YDL partition after the Mac partition,
> instead of in front.
>
> So I had started all over and now most problems
> have gone. However I just noticed (thanks to
> pdisk) that I haven't succeeded to get the linux
> partitions ahead of the mac partitions, after all!
> I used Mac OSX's Disk Utility and asked for free space,
> then a mac hfs, and then a mac hfs+ partition.
> However it has put the free space after the mac
> partitions.
>
> I suppose I should have asked for three mac partitions,
> then after they were made, deleted the first one to
> turn it into free space. However this was the route
> I took the first time (except with the partitions in
> the wrong order, and without an hfs partition)
> and this led to swapon failing.
>
> I guess the conclusion should be that Mac OSX's disk
> utility is not quite good enough for the kind of
> fine control on the partitioning which one wants.
> I guess OS9's utility is better. A nuisance if you
> don't have OS9...

I haven't tried this procedure, so you may want to wait for more input
(unless you're not afraid of screwing things up), But their is a fix
here:

http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

in essence saying that you can reorder your partitions. I've been a
little afraid of trying it till I get ALL my files backed up onto CD -
Had my backup HDD crash fatally. If you decide to give it a whirl,
please post your results. I 'd be greatly interested to see if it works.
My system got setup by autopartition as swap, hfs, ext3. Everything
seems to work well, It just goes against my sense of order.