mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

Richard D. Gill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:15:11 +0200 (CEST)

PS. The starting point of my questions were the
problems which seem to be caused by accidentally
putting the YDL partition after the Mac partition,
instead of in front.

So I had started all over and now most problems
have gone. However I just noticed (thanks to
pdisk) that I haven't succeeded to get the linux
partitions ahead of the mac partitions, after all!
I used Mac OSX's Disk Utility and asked for free space,
then a mac hfs, and then a mac hfs+ partition.
However it has put the free space after the mac
partitions.

I suppose I should have asked for three mac partitions,
then after they were made, deleted the first one to
turn it into free space. However this was the route
I took the first time (except with the partitions in
the wrong order, and without an hfs partition)
and this led to swapon failing.

I guess the conclusion should be that Mac OSX's disk
utility is not quite good enough for the kind of
fine control on the partitioning which one wants.
I guess OS9's utility is better. A nuisance if you
don't have OS9...