howto use data-projector with YDL 3.0 on iBook2

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:54:25 +0200 (CEST)

>> VGA out does with some trick. You should shut down
>> your machine, plug in the vga adapter then push the
>> power button to power it up and suddenly close the lid.
>> OpenFirmware's gonna detect you want to use an external
>> monitor and will enable it itself.
>
> http://mij.oltrelinux.com/ibook/ppc_linux.html
>
> One also has to fix up XF86Config specially, sigh...

Tried it out yesterday and it works!!!!!!!!

Some little problems:

* the iBook's own screen is just blank

* ctrl-alt-f1 to get to the non X windows mode screwed everything up,
  I had to reset and reboot

* the iBook going to sleep screws everything up,
  I had to reset and reboot

* mac-on-linux (osx) got very confused and is still completely mixed up
  after that little experience (I have to find out how to get its
  monitor configuration back to "factory settings").

Interesting. But I will risk doing this the next time I give a
real live presentation.

Richard