slow boot times

Matt Freymiller yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:24:33 -0400

Hi

I'm writing in just with a quick question. I have a power pc 6400/200. Its a
200 Mhz system with about 128Mb ram. I have yellowdog 3.0 installed with
just the os and few other small packages. No X, no GUI, no real services
such as ftp or http. It currently takes about an hour to boot the system to
linux. It will boot os9 in just a few minutes, but linux takes forever. It
will boot a little way, hang for a while, boot a little further, hang, so on
and so forth. It also takes about the same amount of time to shut down. I'm
wanting to use this for a firewall, web server, ftp server at home. Very low
usage but I'm thinking that an hour boot time is a bad omen. Is this normal
on a slower machine like this, or is there some way I could tweak a little
faster boot time out of it, maybe a kernel parameter or something?

I'm currently doing a yum update to see if that will help.

Thanks for the help...
stir_frey

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es