Output to external monitor on powerbook G4

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:39:23 +0200 (CEST)

> I wonder if there is a solution to using an external monitor with
> powerbook G4 running YDL?

I don't know about Powerbook G4 but I succeeded to do this with iBook2 G3
but only with the following amazing trick from

http://mij.oltrelinux.com/ibook/ppc_linux.html

start the computer and immediately close the lid, as quickly as you can.
open firmware thinks that the laptop's own monitor is disconnected
and looks for and finds the external monitor connected through your
apple video connector to the vga-out port. when you see linux
booting on the external monitor you know it is safe to open the lid.

you need to have XF86Config set up so that it will work with the
external monitor.

problems: there is nothing on the screen of your laptop;
and if your computer goes to sleep and is woken up again, chaos ensues.
(you lose both screens and the only way out is to reset the computer)

Richard