mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:03:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi folks,

I made some more progress towards mounting hfsplus partitions from YDL.

Firstly, there actually already exists a package in YDL 3.0 called
hfsplusutils which includes programs called hpmount hpumount hpls hpcd
hpcopy and the like so that you can navigate through hfs+ partitions and
copy stuff you are looking for. There are no man pages but very summary
documentation exists in /usr/share/doc/hfsplusutils*

Secondly there exist modules and kernel patches and kernel extensions
or whatever it should be called, to make hfsplus partitions properly
accessible just as any other. See

http://www.ardistech.com/hfsplus

which is derived from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hfsplus

Unfortunately the linux kernel shipped with YDL 3.0 is too old to be
able to use this software directly. Either one should rebuild the kernel
with a patch added, or one should replace the kernel with a newer one
e.g. from

http://www.ppckernel.org/

In that case one may as well go for a kernel specially compiled for
your own architecture, in my case iBook...

I will report on the succes or otherwise of this adventure later...
It seems that it ought not to be too difficult... [famous last words]...

Does anyone know if the file

/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8d/configs/kernel-2.4.20-ppc.config

is the .config file corresponding to the kernel which is actually
present in YDL 3.0? There are also some .config files with
strange things added to the names like

-BOOT, -ans, -briq, -smp

and I have no idea what they mean.

Richard