mounting hfs+ partitions in yellowdog, and vice versa

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:12:43 +0100 (CET)

Today, victory!!!!

I got some excellent help from the yellowdog-general list,
in particular from:

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-October/010423.html

The core of that advice (by Newsman) was:

> I recommend using the 2.4.22 kernel source with the ben2 patch (worked
> great for me). Both can be downloaded from kernel.org.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.22.tar.bz2
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/benh/patch-2.4.22-ben2.gz
>
> Extract both files into /usr/src. Change to /usr/src
> and apply the patch by typing "patch -p0 < patch-2.4.22-ben2"

I copied the file /boot/config-2.4.20-8d as ".config"
into the new, patched source directory which is now
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22

I am not sure if it is necessary but at the same time,
I made /usr/src/linux to be a link to the same directory.

I followed slavishly the instructions at

http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml

In particular, at the configuration stage I first ran
"make oldconfig", giving the default answer to every question put
to me by hitting the return key, then "make xconfig" where I went
to the file systems menu and elected to have HFS and HFS+ support
built in to the kernel.

Did everything by the book and everything seems to be working fine...
Whole process takes about 3/4 hour on iBook2 (G3).

Without the BenH patch I got heaps of errors at the "make modules"
stage.

I think this is what linux is all about: days trying to solve a problem
and finally a solution with the help of everyone out there. In the
meantime a big exercise in patience and attention to detail...

Richard